As Determined by TWM: Best Shopping and Dining Day Trips
I don’t know about you, but after being cooped up for most of last week, I am ready to GET OUT! That’s why I was so excited when one of the ladies in the Tanglewood Moms group asked for a great place to take their mom for a day trip for their mom shopping and to lunch for their birthday. The only requirement was it needed to be within an hour or two from Fort Worth.
Of course Tanglewood moms members came through with some great ideas! We’ve pulled together these ideas, along with some of our own. These are great for birthdays with mom or kiddos, a best friend day trip, or just an afternoon alone – no kids to keep track of, no partners to placate, just peace. (Full disclosure, our editor has informed her family that she will be unavailable next weekend as she will be taking a day trip by herself!)
- Mineola – cute main street and antique shops (Editor’s Note: Check out Kitchen’s Hardware and Deli for great pies!)
- Dallas – Highland Park Village, Snider Plaza, Northpark, etc. (We’ll do a whole article on this later, I promise)
- Waxahatchie – check out Farm Luck Soda Fountain & Dry Goods for the best pimento cheese sandwich and ice cream soda in the Metroplex!
- Granbury – Arts & Letters Bookstore is a great place to while away an afternoon
- Waco – supposedly some tv show is filmed there?
- Clifton – between Fort Worth and Waco, this little town is a center for artists
- Grapevine – grab a train up to Grapevine for a day of shopping
- Mineral Wells – grab a coffee as you stroll though Merrimac & North for great antiques
- Hico – after shopping, head to the Chop House in the restored Midland Hotel
- Glen Rose – there’s more than just Fossil Rim: check out the historic Farmers Market for great food and crafts!
- Decatur – schedule an appointment with Jeff Biggars to have a hat custom made just for you
- Ennis – home of the Bluebonnet Trails (April 1-30, 2023) and a darling downtown with shops and restaurants
- Denison – check out the art galleries!
- Salado – spend a day shopping before grabbing an adult beverage in the beer garden of Barrow Brewing Co. overlooking Salado Creek
So clear a day and hit the road! Indulge in some grownup time. Your family and friends will thank you!