After a five-year hiatus, Central Market is bringing back the wildly popular in-store Passport event with Passaporte Portugal. Started in 2010, the Passport series has honored such countries and regions as Greece, Mexico, Italy, France, Brazil, Spain, Argentina, the United Kingdom and the Southern United States. The culinary celebrations bring authentic food, wines, spices, coffees, cheeses, and all manner of fresh pasta, produce, meats, and seafood to Central Market customers. Passport is much more than a weekend of product sampling — it is an in-depth exploration of international culinary discovery.
From September 13 – 26, discover Portugal, a country whose storied history and rich, diverse cultural influences are unparalleled. Central Market’s expert buyers have scoured every inch of this magnificent country, from the Douro River Valley to the Alentejo Plains, to bring the most authentic Portuguese flavors to our shelves. Each region of Portugal boasts its own culinary specialties, and these traditions will be showcased at each store during this limited-time event. From the seafood-centric cuisine of the coast to the hearty dishes of the mountainous region, savor all the regional diversity Portugal has to offer.
All stores are hosting a Passaporte Portugal Tasting Stroll for customers on Saturday, September 16 from 2 – 6 p.m. This immersive culinary experience will celebrate the country’s storied traditions and richly diverse cultural influencers with foods including custard-filled Pastéis de Nata, spicy Piri Piri, a stunning selection of seafood bites, sips of vinho and so much more. Customers are asked to register in advance so stores may plan accordingly. Click HERE to register.
In addition to the tasting stroll, Central Market has curated a lineup of top Portuguese guest chefs for classes and appearances during the two-week event. Notable visiting chefs include:
- Chef Telmo Faria, Uma Casa, San Francisco
- Maria Lawton, aka The Azorean Green Bean, Host and Executive Director of the award-winning series Maria’s Portuguese Table (PBS)
- Chef Marlene Viera, owner, and chef of Time Out Market, Zunzum Gastrobar and Marlene, gastronomic restaurant
- Chef Francisco Rosa, James Beard Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Foundation, head Chef at Alfama restaurant in New York City
Portuguese Winemaker and experts hosting classes include:
- Francisco Correa de Barros, Casa Santos Lima, a family-owned company
- Eugenio Jardim, Wines of Portugal, U.S. Ambassador
- Frank Paredes, president, NOW Wine Imports, Esporão Group
For a complete schedule of cooking classes, wine tastings, and visiting and celebrity chefs at each store, visit www.centralmarket.com