Squeeze the Day at Central Market
Central Market’s annual Citrus Fest is back and fresher than ever this year. Central Market’s buyers have been searching the globe for the brightest and freshest flavors to bring to Texas at the peak of season. This year, customers will find great tasting new citrus varieties, new specialty foods including cookies, drinks and sauces and scratch-baked citrus heaven in the bakery. Everything has been made a little zestier this year including Central Market’s longtime favorite flour tortillas, which will feature a new flavor, cilantro lime, a new lemon salmon maki roll, bean-to-bar citrus infused chocolates and brightly colored citrus-inspired floral arrangements and bouquets to brighten the winter doldrums.
In addition, this year, Central Market is helping to keep the January mood bright by offering a Spotify playlist, “Feeling Zesty,” a juicy citrus-inspired mobile phone wallpaper and new Citrus Fest Instagram stickers to keep your posts fresh.
The entire store will be bursting with flavor. We’ve highlighted a few products from throughout the store that will have you squeezing the day.
What to look for and try in the PRODUCE DEPARTMENT:
- Over 55 different citrus items in the produce department. NEW products this year include imported Italian Moro blood oranges and imported Italian Tarocco blood oranges.
- Tried-and-true favorites that will be back include Indian River red grapefruit and Indian River white grapefruit, bergamots, limequats, Satsuma tangerines, Kishu mandarins, Buddha Hands and calamondin just to name a few.
- In the pressed juice section, look for citrus mixers and refreshers including strawberry lime margarita, pineapple mojito, green tea with pineapple, ginger mint lime, hibiscus tea with pineapple and orange lime mint.
- This department will be bursting with color! It is truly photo/Instagram/Snapchat worthy. Email or text the media representative if you would like to pop in to get some photos.
What to look for and try at the MARKET AND SEAFOOD COUNTER:
- NEW orange sage pork chop, orange sage chicken thighs, Ponzu beef flank cut short ribs, and Cara Cara Icelandic cod.
What to look for in the GROCERY DEPARTMENT:
- NEW (Central Market exclusive and first to market) Citrus House sparkling waters – high quality sparkling flavored water with real organic juices sourced from Italy. Flavors include Mandarin orange, pink grapefruit, blood orange and pomegranate blueberry.
- NEW Van Strien Cookies – A Great Taste award winner and family business that has been baking for six generations, every cookie is handmade with no machines and made with grass-fed butter. Check out the lemon flavor.
- NEW Clare’s Irish Biscuits (first time in Texas) – these traditional Irish cookies range from simple shortbread to inclusion-laced flavors including lemon and white chocolate and orange and cranberry.
What to look for in the DAIRY/FROZEN SECTION:
- NEW Yami French-style whole milk yogurt in lemon flavor – the dairy was started in 1923 in Auburn, WA. They only use milk sourced from local and regional dairies. Their products are a Pacific Northwest tradition.
- NEW Lisa’s Lemonade – all organic, these lemonades are made without using sugar. Instead, they are sweetened with organic stevia and a touch of agave. Lisa’s is a family-owned business based in Dallas-Fort Worth. All lemonades are raw and cold pressed.
- NEW Umpqua sherbets – business was founded in 1931 in Rosebud, OR. All ice cream is made from local dairies. Flavors include rainbow sherbet, orange sherbet and classic lemon bar ice cream.
- NEW Fat Rabbit vegetarian entrees – made with fresh roasted, sauced and tossed vegetables.
What to look for in DELI & CHEESE:
- Central Market chile lime in-house roasted turkey.
- NEW Mitica orange ginger Marcona almonds – a refreshingly spicy dusting of ground ginger combined with the zip of orange bring these slightly sweetened Marconas to life.
- NEW Nettle Meadow Farm Meyer Lemon and Cardamon Chevre – bright citrus of Meyer lemon and understated whisper of cardamon comes from a collaboration with Blake Hill Preserves in Vermont.
- NEW Nettle Meadow Farm Blueberry Lemon Fromage Frais – fresh goat and cow milk cheese from an Adirondack sanctuary farm, the tartness of the blueberries is complemented by the citrus tang of lemon.
- Preserved Lemon Slices (introduced a few years ago and became a huge hit) – find them in the Olive Bar these bright, tart and slightly sweet, sliced preserved lemons bring big flavor to cocktails, white pizza, roast chicken and more.
What to look for in the CHEF’S CASE & PREPARED FOODS:
- Yuzu Ponzu chicken thighs
- Calamansi lime baby back ribs
- Arugula, kumquat and raspberry salad and turmeric cauliflower and with orange harissa vinaigrette
Beer & Wine, Floral, Healthy Living, Bulk, Housewares, and Bakery are also brimming with citrus inspired items.
CITRUS COOKING CLASSES TO LOOK FOR:
- Demo & Dine: Luscious Lemons
- Learn @ Lunch: Lemony Delights from the Amalfi Coast
- Citrus with a Texas Twist
- Seafood and Citrus: A Perfect Pairing