Is There Such a Thing as the Perfect Theater Camp?
I’m often asked about which are the “good” kids’ theater classes around town. I say that it depends on your goals. Do you want to help your daughter become a theater professional? Do you want a fun, immersive experience that will bring your son out of his shell? Do you want more general theater training or something specific? Theater, after all, is a broad, bedazzled umbrella.
Fort Worth’s theaters offer a myriad of options when it comes to classes and camps. The choices can be a little overwhelming, but I promise your little (and not-so-little) ones will love these programs.
Tad-Poles Stilt Dancing Program
- Theater: Amphibian Stage Productions
- Age Range: 12 to 17
- In a nutshell: Tad-Poles stilt dancing program offers youth the opportunity to learn the unique art of stilt walking and dancing while developing a cultural understanding of its West African and Caribbean traditions.
- Great match for kids who: Enjoy movement and dance, are adventurous, or just want to try something new.
- Cost: $100
- Dates: June – August 2022 (Exact dates to be announced by April at amphibianstage.com.)
- Sign-up Deadline: May 2022
- For more Info: Contact Program Coordinator Andrea Ballard email@example.com or call (817) 923-3012.
Camp Casa – Madagascar Jr.
- Theater: Casa Mañana
- Age Range: 8 to 14
- In a nutshell: Camp Casa provides a chance for kids to rehearse and perform a musical on the Casa stage. This summer’s show is Madagascar Jr. which offers young performers the opportunity to MOVE IT, MOVE IT!
- Great match for kids who: Want to explore theatre, sing, dance, act with professional teaching artists, have fun, and make new friends. All experience levels welcome.
- Cost: $1,200 – scholarships are available
- Dates: June 20 through July 8, performances July 8 through 10
- Sign-up Deadline: No deadline, but Camp Casa fills up quickly; there is almost always a waitlist.
- For more Info: casamanana.org/education/summer-camps/
High School Playwriting Project/High School Playwriting Project Staged Readings
- Theater: Circle Theatre
- Age Range: 14 to 18
- In a nutshell: Circle Theatre invites all DFW high school students to write and enter One Act scripts for evaluation by an experienced panel of local professionals. The top four scripts are then performed by professional actors as staged readings in a one-time performance.
- Great match for kids who: Have an interest in theater and playwriting. It’s also great for those who want to watch professional actors perform one-act plays written by students their same age.
- Cost: Free
- Dates: The staged readings will be performed (tentatively) June 26 at 7 p.m. on the campus of Texas Wesleyan University (outdoors).
- Sign-up Deadline: April 1 for student playwright submissions
- For more info: circletheatre.com/hspp or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jubilee Summer Theater Camp 2022
- Theater: Jubilee Theatre
- Age Range: 10 to 14
- In a nutshell: Young artists will engage in writing, performance techniques, movement, and stage disciplines such as stage management, design, prop building, production management and numerous arts and craft projects, all culminating in a devised staged production.
- Great match for kids who: Have an interest in performing, writing, and collaborative work.
- Cost: $150.00 for three weeks; only 50 slots are available
- Dates: July 5th – July 22nd
- Sign-up Deadline: April 29
- For more info: Contact DWRichardson@jubileetheatre.org
Kids Who Care Mini Camp
- Theater: Kids Who Care
- Age Range: 4-7
- In a nutshell: Each day of Mini Camp is filled with creative movement, theatre games, and music. Led by teaching professionals who love working with children, Mini Camp helps kids develop physical and vocal confidence through concentration, observation, cooperation, imagination, and sensory recall.
- Great match for kids who: Love having fun, but maybe don’t know much about performing — yet!
- Cost: $400
- Dates: June 6 through 10, 2022, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Sign up deadline: May 31
- For more info: kidswhocare.org.
Stage West’s Summer Conservatory
- Theater: Stage West
- Age Range: 13 to 18
- In a nutshell: The Summer Conservatory is an innovative program offering teenagers a chance to study all aspects of theatre through the mentorship of professional artists. Students will perform in a fully produced original adaptation of Alice in Wonderland, as well as help the production team bring design elements to life.
- Great for kids who: Have an interest in the professional processes of theatre both on stage and off, whether they are beginners or have plenty of experience.
- Cost: $650 – scholarships are available
- Dates: July 11 through 29
- Sign-up Deadline: July 10
- For more Info: Email email@example.com
Adventures in Theater Camp
- Theater: Theatre Arlington
- Age Range: 8 to 16
- In a nutshell: Adventures in Theater Camp offers a comprehensive overview of performance and the technical aspects of theater, covering acting, dance, voice, stage combat, costume design, construction, and lighting and sound design using teachers who specialize in their class subject.
- Great match for kids who: Are new to performing or for those who are looking for a multifaceted theater camp.
- Cost: $425
- Dates: July 11 through 22
- Sign-up Deadline: July 1
- For more Info: theatrearlington.org/acts/
Julie Rhodes has performed on many metroplex stages, including Casa Manana, Amphibian Stage Productions, Dallas Children’s Theater, Circle Theatre, Stolen Shakespeare Guild and Lyric Stage. She is married to Gordon and is mom to kids Drew (12), Madeline (9), and pug princess Eloise. Visit juliekrhodes.com