5 Fort Worth Cool Treats for Summer
You just had a nice date-night dinner with your sweetie and you’re looking for the perfect dessert to top off the evening. Or maybe you’re running errands with the kids and since they’ve been on their (almost) best behavior you want to treat them to something special. Where to go?
No Problem. We’re going to share our favorite treateries that are guaranteed to hit the spot.
- Steel City Pops – Across from Fred’s on Currie St. is one of our favorite stops for a cold treat. These are not your run of the mill popsicles. Steel City takes their pops very seriously. There are two main categories of popsicles; fruity or creamy. You’ll want to make several trips so you can try at least one of each. When the weather’s hot the concrete and cinder block patio can get pretty steamy, but it’s a great space for kids to run around and nosh their pops. Our favorite flavors are Blood Orange and Vanilla. Vanilla, you say? I know, right?! But trust us; this ain’t your average vanilla.
- Melt – If you want to stretch your preconceived notions of ice cream flavors take yourself on down to Melt at their new location at 1201 W. Magnolia, Ste. 115. Flavors change regularly but they are always interesting. This is gourmet ice cream folks and as such you get interesting flavor combos like the Verde y Verde, which is avocado, lime, and coconut. Different and delicious. More basic flavors like chocolate and vanilla are generally on offer but don’t expect it to be like any chocolate or vanilla you’ve had before. Our fave flave? Nuts For Rosie; sweet cream ice cream with salted Texas pecans and fresh rosemary. Yum!
- Sweet Frog Premium Frozen Yogurt – If ice cream is a little too heavy for ya then Sweet Frog Premium Frozen Yogurt has you covered. On University right across from the TCU Bookstore Sweet Frog is the go to place for kids. They love adding their own topping to their yogurt to come up with just the right combination of Gummy Bears, Oreos, and Marshmallows to appease their maniacal little sweet tooths (teeth?).
- Sol y Luna Snow Ball – Located at 3319 Hulen at the corner of Diaz and Hulen, this little food truck makes amazing shaved ices. They use real fruit like mangoes and strawberries, and the kids love Bubblegum. There are some great Mexican options like tamarind and horchata that are delicious and completely refreshing. This is a great place to stop for a treat when the kids have made it through Central Market without destroying anything.
- Marble Slab Creamery – With two locations on Hulen, Marble Slab has been dishing up some of Fort Worth’s best ice cream for years and has become the tried and true ice cream spot for many Fort Worth families. With a range of made-fresh-daily flavors and dozens of toppings that get mixed into your ice cream, Marble Slab is guaranteed to please everyone in your crew. Our favorites are Honey ice cream with granola and Cheesecake ice cream with cherries, but you really can’t go wrong with any combination.
So, there you have it. Our favorite sweet treat spots for when you just need a little something on a hot summer day. Let us know what your favorite go-to places are to satisfy your sweet tooth.
This list was updated in 2016!