Top 5 Fort Worth Salad Spots
Yesterday the Tanglewood Moms Facebook Group blew up with a discussion of favorite places to get a salad in Fort Worth. We’re all creatures of habit and tend to go to the same restaurants and order the same items. This was a really great discussion because it offered us all some ideas to help broaden our horizons.
We decided to do a quick and unscientific tally of the restaurants that got mentioned the most and share the top five with you here. The results may not come as a surprise to many in the group, but there might be some on here you haven’t tried yet.
5. Snappy Salads – While some people mentioned salads by name, we think of Snappy as mostly a build-your-own-salad place. The menu salads we’ve tried have been very good, but for us the big draw to Snappy Salads is you can basically get whatever you happen to be in the mood for that day.
4. Mi Cocina – The Rico Salad got several mentions in our groups discussion, and for good reason. The Rico is delicious! Fresh Romaine lettuce topped with tomatoes, bacon, avocado, grated cheese, crispy tortilla strips, and your choice of steak or chicken. Try it with the chile-garlic dressing. Yum!
3. Press Café – We love Press Café! Not only is the food amazing, but how fun is it to sit on the patio by the gorgeous lawn and oak grove? Three salads from Press got several mentions, however the Steak Salad and the Trailhead Chicken Salad were the clear favorites. The steak salad is a delicious combination of perfectly prepared filet mignon with tomatoes, wild greens, haricot vert, and Huntsman cheese. The Trailhead Chicken Salad is an equally delightful blend of wild greens, pinenuts, bacon, avocado, and Point Reyes blue cheese topped with savory organic rotisserie chicken.
2. Pacific Table – Is there anything that’s not delicious at Pacific Table? If so, we haven’t had it, but one salad on the menu was a clear standout. In fact, this salad tied for most mentions. It’s the Brussels Sprouts Salad. Roasted chicken, Brussels sprout leaves, Manchego cheese, golden raisins, and a chopped egg provide one of the best flavor combinations ever! The sweetness of the raisins plays beautifully with the slight bitterness of the Brussels sprouts leaves, while the mellow egg contrasts with the sharp Manchego. This salad is pure bliss!
1. The Tavern – The Tavern was a clear winner here with three salads garnering a LOT of mentions. The Zuni Chicken Salad consists of roasted chicken, chopped egg, wild greens, julienned apples, walnuts, pecans, golden raisins, and goat cheese with their amazing bacon vinaigrette. The Sonoma Steak Salad is wild greens, tomatoes, avocado, pecans all tossed in bacon vinaigrette and topped with blue cheese crumbles. And finally…! Tied for first place with the Brussels Sprouts Salad from Pacific Table is The Tavern’s Crab Cake Salad. People love this salad, and it’s obvious why. A big yummy crab cake on top of fresh greens, tomatoes, corn, avocado, cucumbers, walnuts, and croutons all tossed in that yummy bacon vinaigrette.
There were other restaurants mentioned, of course, with Charleston’s, HG SPLY, Zoe’s, and Meso Maya as standouts. Interestingly though, (but perhaps not surprisingly) the three top restaurants are all owned by executive chef, Felipe Armenta. His other Fort Worth restaurant, Cork & Pig, received several mentions as well, so it’s clear Chef Armenta knows his way around a salad. His flavor combinations are sometimes surprising, occasionally curious, but they are always thoughtful and on the mark. No wonder so many people love his salads.