There’s a brand new, modern “eyes in the sky” approach to getting your kids to be on their best behavior for Santa this holiday season. It’s called iSanta Cam, and it’s an interactive version of the old tradition Elf on the Shelf. It comes with the ability to create custom messages for your kids directly from the North Pole. Oh, my!
Check out the iSanta website for all of the juicy details, a full feature-set and the ability to order. But, here’s my quick rundown of the product. It’s a board with an image of Santa on it in the background. On top of that board, there is a dome. This dome looks like it is a camera (ha, tricks is on you, kids), but it does not actually function as a camera. The dome “camera” gives children the impression that Santa really is watching them be naughty or nice. (Moms and Dads, don’t worry…no one is actually going to see you walking around the house in your undies.)
I had a chance this past week to take iSanta for a little ol’ Shanklin-household test-drive and this is what I found, love and recommend about the interactive St. Nick:
- Ability to add personalized messages to your children that come directly from Santa. Add your child’s name into the message to either really creep out your kid, or make them believe Santa really is watching them.
- This makes it GREAT for kids who are at reading age and older
- My kids (4 and 2) were a little young for this. I did think my four-year-old would get more into it. But, I think without the ability to read the messages on the board, it just didn’t give him that much to cling to. I will say that since he can read his name, putting up a personalized message with his name on it did spike his interest for a short time.
- The 2 year-old could have cared less about it.
- Definitely download the app! This makes it easy to plug in your messages on the go, and see them at home later. I also just find it easier to use than the remote control. The app is available on the iTunes store or Google Play.
- It doesn’t take up a lot of space – which is awesome!
- If you have a child that gets really into it, but you are traveling for the holiday, you’re in luck. There is a travel version that can fit cozily into your suitcase. Check it out on their website.
All in all, it was pretty cute to hear my son wake up in the morning, come downstairs and go, “Oh, hi, Santa.” But, I do think they will get more out of it when they are older and can better grasp the whole concept.
History on the making
This brainchild was created by Emily Jones during a lunch get-together when one of her friends children noticed a dome surveillance camera in the restaurant. The kids asked “what’s that?” and the mother’s response was “that’s Santa, he’s watching you”. BAM! The idea behind iSantaCam was born. Emily Jones is one busy lady. She’s a mom, entrepreneur and a field reporter for the Texas Rangers. Our Tanglewood Mom, Courtney Utter, recently was able to speak to her over the phone while her kids played on the playground.