In Like a Lion: Fun in the Fort for March 2020
March is roaring in like a lion, and that means Spring Break and St. Patrick’s Day are just around the corner. Don’t panic; we’ve got some great ideas for you this month!
Fort Worth ISD’s Spring Break runs from March 9 through March 13. If you’re like me, the idea of children either glued to screens all day or running amok through the house will chill you to the bone. However, there are some great Spring Break camps that are fun and educational. Just don’t tell the kids they’re actually learning something!
- The Fort Worth Museum of Science and History has several events opening just in time for Spring Break. Adventures with Clifford the Big Red Dog opens on March 4, and Dinosaurs of Antarctica opens at the Omni on March 7.
- The Kimbell’s Spring Break Art Extravaganza features sketching expeditions through the museum, creative improv, and afternoon yoga.
- The Amon Carter hosts Spring Break at the Carter where you and your child can see how nature and art play together with art projects, storytelling, and more.
- The National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame is having a Spring Break Scavenger Hunt! Learn about the Wild West as you hunt throughout the museum, and then continue the hunt at the BRIT, the Sid Richardson, the Amon Carter, and more.
- Spring Break Camp at the Fort Worth Zoo is wild! Campers will learn about all sorts of animals through daily Zoo hikes and classroom animal visits while having a great time.
St. Patrick’s Day falls on a Tuesday this year, but Cowtown Goes Green on Saturday, March 14, at the Stockyards. From poetry and pony rides and the parade to armadillo races and Irish dancing and more, this is Fort Worth’s biggest St. Patrick’s Day celebration. So get your green on and get down to the Stockyards!
One of Fort Worth’s favorite spring activities, Butterflies in the Garden, is back! After being damaged in a hailstorm, the Conservatory at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden has been beautifully redone, and there are more butterflies than ever. This is a ticketed event, so get your tickets here!
Roald Dahl was one of the best children’s authors in the history of children’s authors. His books are classics and have been turned into movies and stage productions. From March 20 through April 5, Casa Mañana presents the Broadway smash Matilda: The Musical. On Saturdays, you can join Matilda and Miss Honey for tea in the Reid Cabaret. (This is a separate event, and you can get tickets for it here.)
March in Fort Worth, while typically windy, is lovely, so get out there and enjoy! Picnic in the park, bike along Trinity Trails, fossil hunt along the river, or just play in the backyard. We wish you a very happy March, and we can’t wait to hear about your adventures!